Thursday, January 10, 2008

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3


In June 2006 I bought a Fuji Finepix F30. I was so impressed with it, that by August it had replaced my Sigma SD9 DSLR as my primary camera. Since then I have used it in a wide range of situations, including taking pack shots for commercial work.

In April 2007, I blogged about the release of the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3. Its main feature was its impressive zoom range, the equivalent of 28-280mm on a digital SLR, squeezed into a 105 x 59 x 37mm, 232g body.

The thing I miss most about using my Sigma SD9 is the lack of zoom range, and in November I saw that the DMC-TZ3 was selling for under £200, so I bought myself an early Christmas present.

I'm very pleased with it. The low-light ability isn't quite as good as the Fuji F30, and there's no aperture or shutter priority mode. But the build quality is excellent, the ergonomics are good, the zoom lens' operation is smooth and fast and the 3" screen is superb.

Now I'm wondering how long it will be until they manage to squeeze the kind of low-light quality enjoyed by Canon EOS 40D owners into a more pocketable format.
------------

No comments:

 
UA-60915116-2